Mental health nurses to join city police patrols

A partnership between Norfolk Constabulary police officers and nurses from the Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust (NSFT) has formed.

This falls under Operation Gravity, an initiative aiming to reduce drug-related crimes in the area. Authorities have said the rationale behind the partnership is to prompt vulnerable drug users to reach out for help. The new approach intends to identify and assist vulnerable individuals in their own homes.

A secondary motivation to help users is to inhibit the influence of drug dealers in the area.

Operation Gravity lead, Chief Superintendent Dave Marshall said that “giving people who get caught up in this kind of activity options is an important part of our work.”

The Norfolk Recovery Partnership (NRP) will be responsible for admitting the drug users. They also have experience with treating those with alcohol-related problems. Treatments for drug users under the scheme  includes assessment,  detoxification, medication. counselling and group support.

Previously, the NSFT focused on advising civilians dealing with the police (if mental health factored into the situation). With the new partnership, they will learn how to administer Naloxine, which is an antidote for opiate overdoses.

31/01/2017

imogenbarton

March 2021
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031