The Music of Black Origin Awards will be gracing Wembley Arena on 22nd October, after five years of absence from the big city, where they will be showcasing some of this year’s biggest artists such as, Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar, Pharrell and Rita Ora, as well as a multitude of fresh new faces including, Jess Glynne and FKA Twigs. Up for Best Male Act is Fuse ODG, Ghetts, Krept and Konan, Sam Smith and Tinie Tempah. Probably the most obvious choice of winner for this category after storming into the mainstream media this year is Sam Smith. In high demand for his deliciously dreamy soul tones, Smith seems wise beyond his twenty-two years and has a personality so relatable that the nation has no problem with claiming him as their sweetheart.

Although, Tinie Tempah has recently featured on Cheryl Cole’s new single Crazy Stupid Love, the cheeky rapper’s last album release was Demonstration in 2013 that only received a six out of ten from NME, who also described it as “lazy” in its production. Tempah may have fallen short this year since the likes of Fuse ODG managed to join with Sean Paul in successfully creating (whether you like it or not) the catchiest hit of the year, Dangerous Love which peaked at number two in the UK charts. Fuse ODG, whose real name is Nana Richard Abiona, was born in London and raised in Ghana, and prior to his most recent hit he was responsible for the equally catchy tune you seem to wake up singing after a night at the LCR – Antenna. Judging by the success of these singles, Fuse ODG has a good chance of winning Best Male Act.

Contending for Best Female Act is one of the artists Venue have chosen to ‘watch’ this year-FKATwigs.Heralmostghostlyelectronic R&B sound makes her a serious threat for her opponents who use a more traditional pop sound. Her eerie vocals and incredible dance ability make her addictive to watch and give her Beyoncé-esque qualities. The MOBO’s are not the only ones to recognise this; the English singer-songwriter’s first album LP1 is also up for The Mercury Prize for Best Album of the Year. Contrastingly, under the radar opponent Marsha Ambrosius has been out of the mainstream limelight since her days as part of naughties soul group, Floetry. Up until now she has been working behind the scenes writing for the likes of Alicia Keys, Jamie Foxx and Michael Jackson. It seems only fair that she should get her time behind the microphone now, and with a voice like hers no one’s complaining. Whilst previous Eurovision auditionee, Rita Ora, has continued to maintain substantial airplay, many critics see her music as juvenile and her album as disjointed. Possibly making an easier fight for her peers like Jessie J who has reaped the support of Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj in her newest single Bang Bang. We would love to see FKA Twigs clinch this one; the nation’s heard enough Jessie J, Rita Ora and Katy B.

As for Best Newcomer, of which there is a multitude of contestants, Kwabs must have a strong chance at swiping the title. The 23-year- old from South London manages to couple luscious deep and round vocals with futuristic base lines that we challenge anyone to fault. Fiery redhead Jess Glynne has an equally strong chance of success following that of her recent hit, Right Here. Her somewhat husky vocals seem welcome in the UK’s contemporary music scene and shows promise that the country’s pop scene doesn’t rely on the bubble gum sounds of Jessie J and One Direction. Another favourite we would love to see smash this category is MNEK (pronounced em-en-ee-kay), not only does this young man pull off a killer barnet, he makes great music in the form of synthy tune Every Little Word, featuring his faultlessly liquid vocals.