Books

Most Iconic Contemporary Women Writers

Whilst there are many iconic contemporary women writers who could easily win the top-spots on this list, there are three British authors dominating my bookshelves this International Women’s Day. Bringing women together, these authors offer comfort and reassurance to their female readers as they spotlight the feminine perspective, raise important issues about womanhood, and forefront women’s position and value in the world.  

Dolly Alderton

A journalist, podcaster, but foremost a must-read author, you may have heard of Dolly Alderton after the release of her 2018 best-selling memoir, Everything I Know About Love, which follows her experiences navigating friendships and relationships while growing up as a millennial in the noughties. Switching to romantic-comedy fiction with the 2020 release of her debut novel Ghosts, Alderton investigates modern love through our contemporary dating app culture as singleton Nina Dean, a 30-something food blogger, falls for a man she meets online who proceeds to ‘ghost’ her. One of the reasons why Alderton’s novels prove popular with young women is because she depicts the many relatable ‘been there done that’ moments which ultimately define the chaos that is life in your twenties. 

Sally Rooney

Having published three best-selling novels, Sally Rooney is an Irish author considered by many critics as a prominent millennial writer possessing a unique contemporary voice. As two female college students form a connection with a married couple, Rooney’s 2017 debut, Conversations with Friends, explores the disorienting pleasures and dangers of youth. Investigating the emotional turmoil of first love, her second novel, Normal People, examines how social class, and family and friendship entanglements effect the central relationship of Connell and Marianne. Meanwhile, Beautiful World, Where Are You, Rooney’s most recent release, follows the romantic lives of novelist Alice, who falls for Tinder-date and warehouse-worker Felix, and the broken-hearted Eileen who begins to flirt with her childhood friend Simon after believing half of her twenties were wasted on her ex-boyfriend.  

Holly Bourne

Last but not least, Holly Bourne is a proud feminist and mental health advocate predominantly known for her young adult fiction. The author of the award-winning Spinster Club series, alongside several other critically acclaimed teen fiction novels such as The Places I’ve Cried in Public, Bourne’s novels are inspired by her work with young adults and daily experiences of sexism, having previously been a relationship advisor and ‘agony aunt’ for a youth charity. However, she has also written some brilliant adult novels such as Pretending and How Do You Like Me Now?, which serve as honest and moving explorations of love, friendship, and womanhood.

01/03/2022

Lily Boag

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031