My Creative Process

Inspiration and creativity come in all different forms, and it can hit at the most obscure moments. My creative side manifests itself in creative writing. I like writing short stories or poems. For a while, I was getting them out at the speed of light, but I’ve found that it often depends on my mood. Or at least, it used to.

A few years ago, I was using my emotions to write – if I was feeling sad, overwhelmed, guilty, or angry at anything, I’d turn to writing. It helped me make sense of what I was feeling, especially as I didn’t like talking through things with people. Writing was my outlet, and it helped me release these emotions that otherwise would spill out in tears or by lashing out at people.

Now, I find my inspiration from other things. Yes, I still channel my emotions in my writing, looking in on myself and my past experiences to show how my characters are feeling. But I don’t rely on feeling sad or lost to be able to write.

For the longest time, I was in a creative dry spell. I was behind on uni work, I was burnt out from the different tasks I had taken on, and I was generally in a slump. And then, about a month ago, inspiration struck me at the weirdest moment. I can’t remember for certain, but I’m pretty sure it came from a TikTok, or an Instagram post I’d glanced at. Suddenly, a whole novel was taking form in my brain. I went straight to messaging my friend who’s also in the process of writing. The past few months, we’ve sent voice notes back and forth, fleshing out certain plot or character points, or even just running through general ideas with each other. So, of course I had to go to her.

I sent her several voice notes in one go, excitedly babbling about an idea I’d had for a YA novel. As I was vocalising my ideas, more of the story took shape – instead of Point A and Point B, I had a whole path. All of this was from speaking my ideas out loud. Since then, I’ve been reminded of some of my favourite tropes via different social media sites, or even just been hit with inspiration whilst walking to campus and listening to music.

I’ve started writing my piece, always running ideas past this friend, or my housemate. But after being hit with this one idea, more have been forming in my head. After months of not being able to take on anything solid, anything more than 600 words, I have full novels taking shape.

If you’re going through a dry spell at the minute, don’t worry. Creativity and inspiration certainly come in waves, but I think the beautiful thing about that is that it can be sparked from the most random things. A 30 second video, a conversation with a friend, a falling leaf. Anything can inspire you, so just keep going.

07/12/2021

Louise Collins

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31