This is the first year I have ever watched the Oscars live, opting to neglect sleep for the evening in order to watch some films I am yet to see win some awards. 

The big winner, as most are aware by now, was ‘Parasite’, directed by Bong Joon Ho, who I am sure is now incredibly sought after by almost every film studio in the world. I was rooting for Parasite to win Best Picture, eagerly hoping for waves to be made in the film industry by an up-and-coming international director. With my housemate expecting ‘1917 to take the award and being very surprised when it did not, the result definitely satisfied me. Also sweeping Best Director, International Feature Film and Original Screenplay, it is at the top of my list of films to watch at the earliest opportunity. Bong Joon Ho also seems like the sweetest and most innocent person on the planet, making his big wins even more amazing to witness.

Joaquin Phoenix winning Actor in a Leading Role comes as a surprise to no one, and Brad Pitt picking up the Actor in a Supporting Role was also an expected result from my perspective, with ‘Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood’ being the only film in the mix that I had seen prior to the ceremony. The laughs and lost-for-words moments were definitely worthy of lifting the golden statue in my eyes.

The other big winner, despite not winning the Best Picture or Best Director awards was ‘1917’, which everyone and their dog has been raving about. Although, it is evident that the awards it did win were well deserved, most being related to the production and visuals side of the film, notably the Cinematography award. 

My absolute favourite aspect of the evening however, was the performances of the nominees for Best Original Song, and my obsession for Cynthia Erivo was reignited. It was, in contrast, great to see ‘(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again’ by Elton John for ‘Rocketman’ win the award, and in my opinion, ‘Rocketman’ should have had a greater presence amongst these awards. Taron Egerton should have received a nomination for Actor in a Leading Role, because his performance was phenomenal.

Renee Zellweger’s win for Actress in a Leading Role was a personal disappointment, as I have never been a massive fan of her work, and having recently watching ‘Ladybird’, I am experiencing a bit of a Saorise Ronan kick currently, so watching her win for ‘Little Women’ would have made me happier. Also, after watching the BAFTAs, my housemates and I were expecting a long speech from Zellweger in which she thanks every living thing under the sun. We were right.

All in all, the evening did not disappoint. I am very interested to watch the industry shift following the Best Picture award going to ‘Parasite’, and I hope this leads to better representation in the film awards industry. Now, time to play catch up and watch all of the nominated films.