Books

My Summer Reading Recommendations 

I don’t know about you, but the summer is my favourite time to read. For me, nothing beats soaking up sun rays with a good book, especially if it’s got a summer aesthetic and perhaps a cheesy romantic plot to go with it. 

Normally, I just try to get through my mountain of TBR (to be read) books during this season, but sometimes when it’s raining outside, escaping into a fictional world that takes place in summer is the key to getting through British weather. 

One book and author I will recommend until the day I die is Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Set in Malibu (obviously), it chronicles the Riva siblings on a summer’s day leading up to their huge end of summer party they throw each year. Perhaps it’s the fact that the book is set throughout one day, with context thrown in here and there, or that Reid laces her books with something of an addictive nature, but I devoured this book in less than 24 hours last summer. Malibu Rising is probably the perfect book for lounging around, whether that be in a hot country on holiday, or in your garden, imagining you were in the former. 

An author I discovered last summer is Emily Henry, and her books demand to be read when it’s hot out. People We Meet on Vacation, Beach Read and Book Lovers are romance novels with a lot of depth and each protagonist is more likeable than the last. Each story is so original, and the characters are so well thought out, yet satisfyingly cliché in some areas–it’s hard not to get addicted to these books. 

I could ramble on and on about more summer book recommendations, but I have a word limit, so enjoy this brief list of books to power through this summer! 

Guilty Pleasure Romances: 

• The Longest Holiday or One Perfect Summer, both by Paige Toon 
  • One Italian Summer by Rebecca Searle 

Ethereal 70s Summer: 

• Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid 
  • Mary Jane by Jessica Anya Blau 
  • Songs in Ursa Major by Emma Brodie 

LGBTQ+: 

• The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid 
  • The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller 

Classics: 

• Giovanni’s Room by James Baldwin 
  • The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway 

Non-Fiction/Autobiography: 

• Slouching Towards Bethlehem by Joan Didion 
  • Everything I Know About Love by Dolly Alderton 
  • Stevie Nicks: Visions, Dreams and Rumours by Zoë Howe 

12/07/2022

Sienna Norris

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…