Main Stories, News

NAPAC Announces Booklet to Combat Widespread Abuse Experienced by Young People

Image: Unsplash

The National Association for People Abused in Childhood (NAPAC) has created a new booklet to support adult survivors of child abuse. This comes as NAPAC recorded a significant rise in the amount of young people disclosing instances of abuse.

The charity offers support to adult survivors of any form of child abuse, including physical, emotional, sexual and neglect, believing survivors can be empowered to leave the impact of their abuse behind and enjoy a happy and fulfilled life as an adult.

Over the past eighteen months, NAPAC has conducted an in-depth review of its caller and website data which shows one in three callers to its support line is under the age of 35, as well as almost half of its website users being under the age of 35. These worrying statistics led NAPAC to develop a booklet offering advice to young people who may have experienced childhood abuse, along with tips on how to spot instances of abuse as a parent or professional. 

At the launch of the new booklet, Chief Executive Gabrielle Shaw said, “Evidently there are a lot of young people who are affected, which is why we’ve created this new booklet to address their concerns”. She also explained how the new resource can be used to learn to “deal with a disclosure in a productive manner”. 

According to the Crime Survey for England and Wales, there are approximately 8.5 million adults in the UK who have experienced at least one form of child abuse, whilst the Office of  the Children’s Commissioner estimates only one in eight children who are being sexually abused are known to the police or children’s services.

In light of these statistics, the booklet’s guidance on recovering as an adult is even more important. NAPAC’s confidential support line is free from UK landlines and mobiles, and is open from 10am-9pm Monday to Thursday and from 10am-6pm on Fridays. You can also visit their website at www.napac.org.uk.

14/09/2021

Rachel Keane

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930