Nation Holds Remembrance Day Service

London’s March Past the Cenotaph did not take place. This due to the second national COVID-19 ‘lockdown’ in England. It normally sees 100,000 people take part.

The remembrance service led by the Government took place as usual. It was on television on BBC One. Representatives from the Royal Family, the Government and the armed forces laid wreaths at the Cenotaph.

There was a service at Westminster Abbey in London which marked the 100 years since the body of the unknown soldier was buried.

The United Kingdom still took part in two minutes of silence at 11am. It is to remember those who passed away fighting for the country. This is including but not limited to the Second World War right up to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Poppies were still worn to remember the sacrifices of current and former generations. This is because the poppies are the flowers that grew on the battlefields after the First World War. It is to raise money for those whose lives have been changed by war.

Remembrance day is always on the Sunday nearest November 11th.

The British Legion encouraged people: ”to ensure Remembrance Sunday is still marked appropriately by taking part in [a] remote and socially distanced Remembrance activity”.

Defence minister, Johnny Mercer, said: “There will be guidance given out by local authorities” about COVID safe events.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesperson said: “It’s important that the country can continue to come together to remember the sacrifice of those who have died in the service of their country”.

There was a scaled back service at Norwich’s war memorial, outside City Hall, which was recorded and uploaded online.

24/11/2020

Laurence Scott

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3