The East of England celebrates receiving millions of pounds of funding into the arts from the National Lottery, as the National Lottery turns 25. The National Lottery is no stranger to investing in the UK having already invested over £4.9billion across numerous community and grassroot art projects in the last 25 years. Since 2010, the National Lottery has invested over £15.4 million into art projects based in the East of England. Research found that around £6 million is awarded to UK arts projects each week by the National Lottery. 

Speaking with Darren Henley, the CEO of Arts Council England highlighted on the role that the National Lottery plays in art development. “For the past 25 years, the National Lottery has invested heavily in different projects across the UK, not alone in arts. “The impact of the funding has been evident. Investing into arts encourages potential artists, changes perception and mentality.”

He added: “The funding has also targeted places where people have been less engaged with art, places where opportunities are low or with people from tougher economic backgrounds. All in all, the National Lottery is helping people to live healthier lives by investing into what makes them happy: art. ”Research done to celebrate the 25th birthday of the National Lottery showed that art and creativity formed a big part of people’s lives across the UK. 

A third of the people surveyed said they take part in creative activities in their spare time, with a further 43% saying they would like to do more. 57% said they felt happier after taking part in creative activities with 56% claiming to feel more relaxed, and 2 in 5 saying that creative activity helped them feel mentally healthier. Their birthday is a moment to celebrate the impact The National Lottery has in the UK. 

Since the National Lottery began, over 565,000 individual grants have been awarded across the UK. On an iconic, national art level, the National Lottery has funded The Angel of the North, The Tate Modern, Natural History Museum, Southbank Centre, British Museum and many more. 

In the East of England, in 2011, it awarded Kettle’s Yard in Cambridge £2.32m by the Heritage Lottery Fund to create an Education Wing. The Norfolk & Norwich Sonic Arts Collective received £13,615 for their Yarmonics project in 2018. Yarmonics is a free sonic art and music festival that celebrates the sounds, people and places of Great Yarmouth.