Fashion, OldVenue

Need for tweed

It’s that glorious time of year again where the leaves are falling off the trees and the crisp mornings mean you can start wrapping up in a few more layers.

For busy students, especially those walking a fair distance to campus, it’s a strain trying to control varying temperatures that soar as you race to your 9am lecture, and then turn chilly on the long  journey home.

The challenge is finding something tasteful and practical. The answer is tweed.

Its vintage versatility makes it the staple item for any wardrobe this season and beyond. Whether a cute pair of tweed shorts paired with thick black tights or the classic tweed blazer, it’s the perfect fabric for the season, and if the blazer has elbow pads, even better.

Autumn temperatures can be awkward: it’s not cold enough to bring out the fur coat, but there’s definitely a chill in the air. You need a easily removable lightweight layer, but one that is also going to keep you toasty on the uni commute.

Pair a tweed blazer with a fur scarf or snood for a vintage look, or wear alone with jeans for a more casual style.

Tweed is not only easy on the eye, but it’s easy on the purse strings. High street stores are stocking up on these autumnal beauties, so you’re sure to be cosy and stylish without your purse being  emptier than Siberia.

07/10/2012

hollyobrien

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…