Negotiations break down over Mali political crisis

Negotiations regarding the ongoing political crisis in the African nation of Mali between the President and opposing movements have broken down. 

M5-RFP, the coalition moving against President Keïta have called for his resignation following accusations of corruption and an inability to control the fallout from recent elections. Protests over the past few weeks have also furthered the calls for resignation of the President after 12 protesters were killed in engagements with police.

Talks mediated and led by five West-African presidents representing Ecowas (Economic Community of West African States) did not support opposition calls for Keïta’s resignation and creation of a transitional government were not agreed to. This was on the grounds that any removal of a political leader should be through a constitutional method. The opposition then were unable to agree to the establishment of a national unity government as a compromise, leading to the stalemate. 

Failure to resolve the political crisis in Mali will create greater potential for security issues in West Africa, with the border countries of Mali being particularly at risk. Ecowas will be looking for a resolution not only to solve the crisis directly but also for the protection of the neighbouring states. Armed groups and militias could capitalise on the unrest both within the country and beyond should an agreement not be reached.

Further discussions amongst West African leaders were held via a virtual summit on Monday 27th July, to hopefully reach an agreement and end the political crisis in Mali. 

04/08/2020

Sam Hewitson

Sam Hewitson

Travel Editor - 2019/20

Editor-In-Chief - 2020/21