Netball 1 claim resounding cup victory

The UEA Netball 1s took on De Montfort 2s in their Conference Cup match at the Sportspark last Wednesday. The hosts showed why they are the best the university have to offer as they recorded an emphatic 76-2 victory.

Whye Tchien Khor Netball 2

Photo: Whye Tchien Khor

UEA got off to a fantastic start, feeding the ball straight into the circle where goal shooter Alex Makin was able to score the first net of the game. The home side were displaying great strength and solidity; their tight passes left De Montfort looking messy and uncontrolled.

There were a few debatable umpiring decisions called against UEA, but this didn’t stop the girls as they continued to take the game to their inferior visitors. Once in their stride, UEA were a huge force to contend with and De Montfort were unable to step up. By the end of the first quarter UEA lead 18-1.

In the second quarter, exceptional passes and shots were being made from the opposite ends of the court. Becky Killett as goal shooter produced some stunning shots, whilst goal defence Charlotte Moorhouse made some outstanding intercepts.

At the end of the second quarter, both Moorhouse and goal keeper Rachel Dean were penalised for obstruction. This offered the De Montfort shooters the chance to reduce the deficit, but the ball failed to find the net. At half time UEA lead 33-2.

The hosts seemed a lot more comfortable in the third quarter, upping their game even further. The defence, consisting of Moorhouse, Dean, Sally Grice and Natasha King, were on fire, intercepting at every available opportunity and constantly stealing the ball back from De Montfort.

Goal attack Asha Williams produced some great drop balls for Killett; the pair working together well to constantly get the ball into the circle and then on into the net. By the end of the third quarter, it was a rarity if UEA missed a shot.

Going into the final quarter, UEA lead 54-2 giving De Montfort no chance to come back. UEA picked up the pace, with centre Hannah Matthews, wing attack Sophie Parker, goal attack Sarah Clark and Makin working well to get the ball into the net. Time was called after a De Montfort player went down and, although the clock was stopped, there was no time to save the away side from a crushing defeat.

The ladies finished the match only four goals away from their own personal target of 80. The umpire congratulated the team by acknowledging that ‘the defence were awesome’.

UEA 1s are a formidable force at the moment, sitting at the top of their BUCS league. Despite some occasional messy play, the team are going from strength to strength. If they can tighten up their passes, they have the potential to dominate all of their forthcoming matches.

Over in Cambridge, the UEA 2s beat Anglia Ruskin 1s 49-41 in their Midlands Conference Cup match.

12/11/2013

hollywade Holly has just finished her third year studying Film and English, but sadly she never did manage to procrastinate by watching every film in IMDb’s top 250. Aside from the fun of her degree Holly is known to spend an unhealthy amount of time in the LCR which she will desperately miss when she has graduated and is forced to do something adult with her life.

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031