Film, OldVenue

Netflix – The Films You Should be Watching

UEA, it’s time to Netflix and chill, and I’m here to help you pick some top quality movies. You’ve probably exhausted your run of Tarantino films and Mean Girls re-runs on the site, so allow me to point you towards the more obscure depths of Netflix.

Here are three films you should be watching, right now, on Netflix:

1. Lilting (2014)

If you’re like me, and become a quasi-masochist when watching films, then you’ll love the grief-stricken, utterly heart-breaking indie film Lilting. It stars a timid cast of four, with two brilliant leads: Ben Wishaw and Cheng Pei-pei. The story depicts a man (Whishaw) grieving for his lover who was tragically killed, and in the process of his grief, tries to connect with his lover’s mother (Pei-pei), a Cambodian Chinese woman who doesn’t speak a word of English, by visiting her regularly at the old-age home where she has been put against her wishes.

Both Wishaw and Pei-pei give subtle yet powerful performances that’ll leave you in tears by the film’s final and most touching scene. The director so intrinsically links the themes of love and guilt that you’ll begin to forget that there is a difference between the two. This film is also quite slow, so prepare to be ‘chilling’ for a while – but trust me, it is worth it.

2. The Bridge (2006)

It was hard narrowing down all my favorite documentaries on Netflix to choose just one, but ultimately, I had to go with The Bridge (narrowly beating The Queen of Versailles). The film spends the entire year of 2004 with fixed cameras positioned at two different angles showing the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, USA. During this time, it captured 23 of the 24 suicides that occurred on the bridge that year. The film is harrowing, so be ready to watch some triggering footage that you may not be comfortable with. It gives a deep insight to the layers of suicide; what drives someone to do it, the aftermath it leaves, and the idea of surviving against all odds.

Bear with this film – you’ll want to turn it off at first, but the more it evolves, the more groundbreaking it becomes.

3. Wet Hot American Summer (2001)

This film recently joined the ranks of Netflix UK, and it’s about damn time. Wet Hot American Summer has achieved cult-status amongst its fans for its unique brand of satirical humor and panache, cleverly subverting pretty much every comedy trope known to man. If you like non-stop quick-witted jokes that are simultaneously as bizarre as they are clever (à la The Thick Of It), then you’ll love this.

The film chronicles the last day of a summer camp in America, where the talent show acts as a catalyst for chaos to ensue. In its large ensemble cast, look out for big names of today that had their humble beginnings here: Bradley Cooper, Amy Poehler, Elizabeth Banks, Paul Rudd, etc. Then, when you’re done with that – go check out the brand new Netflix Original prequel series to the film that was released over the summer. It’s just as great.

03/11/2015

joeylevenson

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031