New album releases 17/01/17

Nick Mason

Night People

You Me At Six

You Me At Six have had their fair share of triumphs. They have also had a lot of underwhelming events. Previous album Cavalier Youth impressed at first, but left little lasting impression besides a handful of good singles. It is with great trepidation I approached Night People, but it feels like their most natural record yet. Think big, rock openers, feeling and atmosphere over pop-punk riffs and hints of Dinosaur Jr, The Killers and Biffy Clyro. And no, that isn’t as messy as it sounds.

Chris Grosset

Run The Jewels 3

Run The Jewels

Rap duo El-P and Killer Mike dropped their third fist pumping, pulse driving, politically stimulating album this Christmas. The first half of the record blasts no-holds-barred bangers of which RTJ fans will adore the production and sampling, particularly in booming track ‘Talk To Me’. The second gets more political with hauntingly intimate production, a highlight being ‘Everybody Stay Calm’. Overall a witty, catchy and stimulating album that can only be said to further raise the bar set by their last two.

Alice Mortimer

Youth Is Only Ever Fun In Retrospect

Sundara Karma

Another new indie band, another debut which does exactly the same as the last. Some decent riffs, a vague ‘political’ statement, aesthetic vocal groans. The Reading quartet’s first LP is not terrible, guitar bands conquer this formula all the time and with great commercial success, but that’s the very point, it’s nothing new. The record just sort of chugs along as lyrically pretentious guitar tunes which simply fail to materialise into anything that makes you want to move or feel.

Georgina Hewison

We Got It From Here… Thank You 4 Your Service

A Tribe Called Quest

18 years later, hip-hop pioneers ATCQ reunite for one final album- and with impeccable timing. In a week of political turmoil, their signature jazz-infused rhymes beautifully combine protest of intersectional hatred with love for the new generation of hip-hop and legacy of member Phife Dawg, who passed away in March. ATCQ pass on the torch with an impressive features list, but never stray from their incredibly reflective flow and individual flair. For old hands and newcomers alike, this is a refreshing dose of 90s attitude.

24/01/2017

Alice Mortimer

March 2021
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031