From Munich’s Krimi Festival to London’s Nordicana, crime-writing has been a long celebrated genre; cities across the world gather annually to pay homage to this ever-growing genre of writing. However, with the rise of the Scandinavian Crime novel over the past decade, the appeal of crime writing has spread at an epidemic rate.

This could perhaps explain the inspiration behind Noirwich, a new crime writing festival heading for the Unesco City of Literature this September. For the first time ever, Norwich will be host to an array of young and old voices from the crime-writing scene. With an exciting collaboration between the Crime Writers’ Association, the University of East Anglia, Waterstones and Writers’ Centre Norwich, the festival will offer a diverse range of talks and workshops throughout the city.

Val McDermid (Charlie Hopkinson)
Val McDermid, who will be appearing at the Noirwich festival. Photo: Charlie Hopkinson

Over the course of five days, beginning on the 10th September, speakers ranging from bestselling author Val McDermid to UEA’s very own Henry Sutton will grace the various stages of Norwich with talks and masterclasses aiming to delve into the depths of the complex psychology of the crime novel.

Besides the various discussions to be had, Frank’s Bar will be opening its doors for a free screening of The Killer Inside Me on Sunday 14th September, which will allow one to explore the translation of crime fiction from the page to the on-screen imaginings of the genre. Alongside this, film academic Trish Sheil and Barry Forshaw, a leading expert on crime fiction and film, take an in-depth look at the new wave of Scandinavian crime fiction and the extent of its influence within the genre.

Henry Sutton, senior lecturer in creative writing at the University of East Anglia and award-winning crime novelist, who co-founded Noirwich, says “Crime fiction is the most popular literary genre on the planet. It’s only fitting that the place where creative writing began in the UK recognises the huge appetite for the genre with its own dedicated festival.

Noirwich aims to showcase not just the very best crime writers and crime writing, but the huge diversity and internationalism of this most dynamic of genres. From the darkest psychological thrillers to the most puzzling and innovative police procedurals, from pure noir to pure entertainment, the emphasis will be on the writers who have and who are making the biggest impacts.

Noirwich is all about quality and originality, turning heads and pushing boundaries”.

For more information or to book tickets online, visit: www.noirwich.co.uk