New green residences planned

UEA is planning to spend £12m on building a new, low energy student residence to meet the growing demand for student accommodation on campus. The state-of-the-art building will be part of a £58 million investment to commemorate its 50th anniversary in 2013.

An application for full planning permission is to be submitted early January 2013 and if successful, work is scheduled to take place between June 2013 until September 2014. During the construction, a new route will be devised onto campus for works traffic (pending permission is given by the highways authority and planning department).

The new halls of residence will be situated on the eastern edge of campus, located between Colman and Britten Houses and Orwell Close. The “U” shaped building will be 5-7 stories high and consist of 231 bed spaces with en-suite facilities and a shared kitchen, divided into flats of 8-12 people. Two senior resident studio flats will be situated on the 6th floor.

There will also be a roof-top plant space and a multi-purpose social space on the ground floor. The landscape within the courtyard of the building will consist of native birch and scots pine trees, under-planted with ground cover shrubs and bulbs to provide a social space to be enjoyed by students throughout the day.

UEA vice-chancellor Professor Edward Acton said: “We pride ourselves on our attractive campus and have led the way in commissioning buildings that are both architecturally significant and environmentally sustainable.” The new halls of residence will help towards UEA’s aim to promote Norwich’s role as a “learning city”.

Architects are designing the building to be highly insulated and will monitor its energy consumption; the university will be seeking a BREEAM (BRE Environmental Assessment Method) “Excellent” accreditation. A tree survey and ecological assessment is being undertaken as part of the planning process.

All views on the plan will be taken into account as part of the “Statement of Community Involvement” section of the application, to be submitted in 2013.

Electronic copies of the relevant feedback form can be found here. Alternatively, comments can be sent to uearesconstruction@bidwells.co.uk.

More information can be found on the University’s website.

The public consultation runs until 5pm on 14 December.

04/12/2012

sofiecacoyannis