New student officer centre officially opens

On 31st October, part of the Union House revamp, the new student office centre was formally presented to a selection of students.

The newly opened area is an open-plan hub on the first floor of Union House, where student officers and the majority of union staff are now based. It is also an area in which students can run campaigns, get advice, and run a club or society. ‘The Nerve’ and social area ‘UNIO’ are the first of Union House’s redevelopments to be opened to students.

The Union of UEA Students (UUEAS) worked closely with UEA to create this series of improvements. The changes were influenced by the voices of students, and include the opening of a new coffee space, ‘UNIO’, and a new exhibition and stalls area in the Hive. UUEAS have also created an integrated media centre for Concrete, UEA:TV and Livewire1350 and plan to improve the seating and layout of the Red and Blue bars.

UUEAS have expressed their motivation for these renovations in a recent press release: “By reducing the number of rooms focussed on cellular offices for staff, we’ll be giving space back to clubs, societies, groups and students to book”. Further refurbishment to Union House will continue throughout the academic year. Chris Jarvis, Campaigns & Democracy Officer at UUEAS, said: “The new office is a more open and engaging space. We’re glad to be able to welcome students into the new office, and hope that it provides more opportunity for students to engage with officers and staff as well as hold meetings and feel more a part of their Union”.

11/11/2014

faithridler

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930