New study reveals record numbers are now in graduate jobs

Record numbers of graduates are in professional standard jobs, according to new research by Higher Education charity, Prospects.

The annually produced ‘What do graduates do?’ report, this year revealed the progresses of 276,735 full and part-time degree graduates in January 2015, six months after graduation.

The results show that almost 200,000 of the Class of 2014 cohort were working in the UK just half a year after their graduation day, a significant 6% improvement on the previous year. The total graduate employment rate now stands at 77%, and, positively, 68% of graduates are working in so-called ‘professional level’ jobs, those which empirically require a degree level qualification, an increase of more than 11,000 people on the previous year.

The research also revealed in which geographical areas graduate employment thrives, and it seems that some jobs markets are recuperating significantly quicker than others when it comes to recession recovery.

London was the most popular choice when it came to graduate jobs, however, both the South-East and North-West both offered more than 10% of this year’s graduate jobs.

Equally, the cities of Belfast, Birmingham, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester and Oxford, as well as the regions of Essex, Kent and Surrey, just to name a few, offered more than 2,000 graduate jobs each, with an average starting salary of £20,637.

Head of higher education intelligence at Prospects, Charlie Ball, could not be happier with these findings: “This cohort started university mid-recession, when the outlook for graduates was the worst than it had been for a generation. They worked hard, they made themselves employable and they have been rewarded”.

However, Mr Ball cautions that these figures should be taken with a pinch of salt and warns against complacency: “Although the graduate jobs market has improved, that doesn’t mean that graduates can just walk into a job. They will still have to work hard to get the jobs they want”.

03/11/2015

caitlindoherty

December 2021
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031