New Union Officers and democracy committee elected

UEA students have elected two new Union of UEA Students (UUEAS) officers and four members of the Democratic Procedures Committee (DPC).

Rivka Benjamin, James Arnold, David Hall and Dan Wrigglesworth were elected to the DPC, with Styliani Glakousaki elected as International Students Officer and Freddie Redfern elected as Ethnic Minorities Officer.

Styliani Glakousaki was elected on first preferences with 102 votes, coming ahead of Nicole Fong in second place and Alessandra Mariani in third place. Freddie Redfern was elected with 106 votes, with Re-open nominations (RON) pulling in 37 votes.

The DPC election saw Rivka Benjamin elected on first preferences with 83 votes, followed by James Arnold and David Hall who gathered enough second and third preferences to each win a position on the four-member committee. The final place on the committee was won by LGBT Officer Dan Wrigglesworth, who pulled ahead of Ethical Officer Josh Wilson and Gilbert Macnaughton on second and third preferences.

343 students voted in the DPC election, representing a turnout of 2.3%. The new officers will represent and support international students and ethnic minorities at UEA, while the members of the Democratic Procedures Committee will have the task of championing and reviewing the democratic structures of the UUEAS. See below for the full first preference results.

Union Elections

Full First Preference Results (elected candidates shown in bold text)

International Students Officer

Styliani Glakousaki 102
Nicole Fong 62
Alessandra Mariani 23
Re-open nominations 5

Ethnic Minorities Officer

Freddie Redfern 106
Re-open nominations 31

Democratic Procedures Committee

Rivka Benjamin 83
James Arnold 56
David Hall 47
Josh Wilson 40
Gilbert Macnaughton 37
Dan Wrigglesworth 37
Samuel Lane 34
Re-open nominations 9

17/05/2014

elliotfolan

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930