Editor's column

New week, new writing, new website

It has been a pretty eventful few weeks in the world and my life, but also at Concrete. Taylor Swift randomly dropped a new album (see Matt’s column for more in-depth thoughts than I could ever provide), I got my degree results after a very long wait, and Concrete unveiled our brand-new website design! Where do I start?

Let’s start with the website. After a very eventful evening when we went down for about an hour (I admit this was partly my fault but thank you all for bearing with us), we used this as an opportunity to essentially start from scratch. A massive thank you to Deputy Editor Matt for this brilliant design, we are really impressed with how slick and modern it looks and we hope our readers love it too. Updating our website was on our to-do-list for a while so it has now finally received the glow-up it deserves, and the overwhelmingly positive feedback is so good to see.

On another more personal note, I am now officially a graduate! I got the results I needed to continue at UEA for my Masters in Media and International Development, and it was so lovely to see all my friends achieve their results also. It could not have been a messier year for all of us, but we still did it, and all of us at Concrete are incredibly proud of every single person for their results this year – a massive congratulations!

The work definitely did not stop for me though, as almost immediately I had to dive into our new virtual issue! After the massive success of the last one, we were really keen to do it again, so we have some more incredible pieces in all of our sections for you to read. I have also really enjoyed contributing to this issue myself; I learned more about the Mali political crisis for Global, examined the nature of representation in literature for our brand-new Books section, and reported on the Portland protests.

I really loved reading Morgan Burdick’s Features piece about using voice notes as a form of communication over lockdown (this article includes me so maybe I’m biased), which I think really well represents how keeping in touch over this difficult time has shifted and changed because we are so far apart. Martha Griffiths’ The Last of Us 2 review was also a great read, and although I have never played the games of this franchise, the piece made me want to. It was also really great to see our Gaming Editor, James Ward, introduce a new rating system which Martha definitely pulled off. Lastly, I wanted to highlight Bea Prutton’s article titled “Museums on TikTok: undermining their reputations or moving with the times?”, because I am personally loving the direction Venue is taking this year already, really diving into more obscure trends in the artistic industries which this article provides a perfect example of.

We really hope you enjoy reading through these pieces, and we look forward to seeing everyone back on campus very soon!

04/08/2020

Sam Hewitson

Sam Hewitson

Travel Editor - 2019/20

Editor-In-Chief - 2020/21