New Year, New Me?

Finally, we are here. But does the new year mean it is time for us to make some real changes?

The beginning of a new year often means many of us re-evaluate our lives and create a list of things we would like to change, ranging from our appearance, to our diet, and any other aspect of our lifestyle. Last year, The Telegraph created a poll to expose the most common resolutions. The poll revealed that 38 percent voted to exercise more and coming in a close second at 33 percent was the goal of losing weight. However, recently, there’s been a shift from setting resolutions, which focuses instead on setting goals.

Setting goals is encouraged as it creates a positive outlook on what you’re attempting to achieve. Examples of setting goals are to get more sleep, eat healthier meals and to save money. All of these goals encourage you to actively achieve your goal, rather than being preventative and restrictive, e.g. saving money instead of spending less.

When taking a closer look at the top two Telegraph resolutions, it is important to recognise the difference between exercising more and losing weight. Exercising more can be seen as a goal, whereas losing weight places a restriction on your diet and lifestyle. Active.com and many other websites emphasise the importance of setting goals and not resolutions. They identify that you need to be specific when setting your goal as this gives you something clear to work towards. They also encourage you to write down your goals as this is proven to make you more motivated.

Bringing setting goals back to the student realm, we frequently post about wanting to spend less money, to cut down on drinking and to be more organised. With Active.com’s ideas in mind, this year students should set themselves goals instead of restrictive New Year’s Resolutions. Examples of switching resolutions to goals include swapping eating less junk food for eating more healthily, and watching less television or Netflix to reading more. It is clear that setting goals inspires you to achieve more, rather than deflate you if you don’t quite succeed at the beginning of your journey.

Another way to enforce change is to introduce the change slowly into your lifestyle. If you decide you want to cut down on how many coffees you drink, maybe cut down one at a time instead of cutting it out completely.

Other new year trends such as Veganuary can be seen as an achievable goal. Veganuary incorporates many of the traditional New Year’s Resolutions in this new and trending lifestyle. The vegan diet encourages you to eat more plant-based foods and by taking part in Veganuary, you are effectively working towards the goal of eating healthily.

Taking up Veganuary or any other goal in the new year is now easier to do than ever before. As long as you approach achieving your goal in a positive and productive way, you are reducing the possibility of failing in the new year.

21/01/2019

Jess Barrett