News around Norfolk

thurne-norfolk-broads

Vulnerable children left unassessed by social workers
An Ofsted report has emerged identifying that 998 potentially vulnerable children in Norfolk were not assessed or only partly assessed by Norfolk County Council.

The Ofsted inspectors claimed that, due to bad management and the lack of social workers, it was “impossible” to know whether the children were receiving the right levels of support.

Sheila Lock, the interim director of children’s services, recognised that the situation was “unacceptable”. A team of 17 people has been assigned to deal with the outstanding cases and it is estimated that over the next week the 300 cases that have been prioritised will have been properly scrutinised.

Crime increase in Cromer
For the first time in months, the number of crimes reported in Cromer has surpassed one per day.

According to Police community support officer, Elaine Roberts, 50 crimes occurred in 49 days between 9 September and 27 October. Among the crimes were seven for common assault and five for criminal damage.

PSCO Roberts attributed the ‘sudden blip’ to officers executing arrest warrants in connection with alleged drug offences.

Festive preparations in Norwich
The Norwich Business Improvement District (BID) and Norwich City Council have said they will invest £300,000 on the city’s Christmas lights over the next three years.

The BID and city council have been working with Jarrolds and John Lewis on the ‘star’ theme, which will light up the city in areas such as Timberhill, Castle Street and Lower Goat Lane.

The lights will be switched on 21 November.

05/11/2013

admin This is the website admin, an account used by the online editor. Email concrete.online@uea.ac.uk if you spot an error or have a question.

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930