NHS in Norfolk encouraging smear tests

The NHS in Norfolk and Waveney are encouraging people to ‘not fear their smear’ and book their appointment. 

On 14th February 2022, the Office for Health Improvement and Disparities (OHID), with the support of NHS England and NHS Improvement, launched a national cervical screening campaign. 

The campaign encourages those who are eligible to book their cervical screening which helps prevent cervical cancer by checking for a high-risk virus and cell changes.

This is the best way to find out if there is a risk involved, and if there are any cervical cell changes found, these can be treated to prevent cervical cancer.

Two women die every day from cervical cancer in England. Yet it is one of the most preventable cancers and getting screened can help stop it before it starts.

Those who are eligible for screening are women and people with a cervix aged 25-64. Those registered as females with their GP practice are invited for routine screening every three years if they are aged 25-49 and every five years if they are aged 50-64. Those registered as male will need to request an appointment from their GP or a local sexual health clinic.

Estimations in England suggest cervical screening prevents 70% of cervical cancer deaths and if everyone attended their screening then, 83% of cervical cancer deaths could be prevented.

Maggie Tween, Norfolk and Waveney cancer programme manager, said: “Campaigns such as these are important and highlight the need for those who are eligible to book their routine screening appointment.”

01/03/2022

Una Jones

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930