No-lettuce salad

With the pizzas and pot noodles of exam time out of the way and bikini season rolling ominously closer by the day, eating healthily always seems to be high on the priority list for the heady early days of summer. Salads can be delicious summer food, but it is quite difficult to get them right. Buying lettuce whole usually results in a soggy pile of brown mush at the bottom of the fridge, while the little individual packets of ready-made salad are either horrifically bland or over-dressed. So, do different and don’t bother with the lettuce. This salad is inspired by the lettuce-free salads of Mediterranean Europe and can be adapted to use any leftover vegetables in your fridge.

Ingredients

• 1 whole cucumber
  • 4-5 tomatoes, or half a pack of cherry tomatoes
  • 2 apples
  • 1 pepper (either red or yellow)
  • ¼ block feta (salad cheese)
  • Olives
  • Pumpkin seeds
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Mixed herbs
  • Olive oil
  • French dressing
  1. Chop the cucumber, tomatoes, apple and pepper to small chunks of a similar size
  2. Mix in bowl with the cubed feta cheese
  3. Roast the pumpkin seeds by placing them in a frying pan with a little salt on heat for a few minutes, until they start to brown and pop
  4. Add the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and a sprinkling of mixed herbs to the vegetables with a little oil and a small amount of French dressing
  5. Enjoy!
15/05/2012

susannawood

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…