Featured Posts, Music

Review: No Love Deep Web – Death Grips

In the context of the modern music industry, where album releases are scheduled and promoted with meticulous precision, the release of Death Grips’ NO LOVE DEEP WEB was one of refreshing originality.

Upon hearing that Epic Records wouldn’t set a date for release “till next year sometime”, Death Grips took matters into their own hands by splurging the new album into every corner of the blogosphere, all free of charge. Take into account that the album artwork consists only of a photo of an erect penis and you’ve got quite an explosive album launch.

What’s clear from the offset is that Death Grips have stripped the production right back for this album. Compared to the carnage of The Fever (Aye Aye) from their recent offering The Money Store, the initial impression from sophomore opener Come Up And Get Me is one of a much more minimalist approach.

The track opens with an unbelievably heavy, brooding bass line, one that holds centre stage throughout. In terms of instrumentation there’s not much else going on, but Andy Morin’s incredible work on the synth more than makes up for any lack of frills. Put this track through any pair of decent headphones and it’s going to give your skull a serious battering.

Stand out track No Love, is a proper gem – Burnett puts such an unbelievable amount of raw, visceral energy through his lyrics that you can barely tear yourself away. Zach Hill provides a huge, ponderous drum beat while Morin’s menacing bass paves the way for Burnett to lay down the album’s killer chorus in all its brutal, anthemic glory.

Any record coming from a band this fascinating deserves more attention than is possible here, but what’s evident is that Death Grips are in a minority of genuinely boundary-pushing bands. NO LOVE DEEP WEB is the newest chapter in their paranoid anti-everything manifesto, and it’s a bloody good listen.

23/10/2012

jackenright Jack enjoyed his time as Music Editor so much that he decided he’s decided to stick around for another year. In the short term, this means more think-pieces on the cultural importance of Young Fathers. In the long term, it means that Jack will probably get a 3rd. Either way, it’s sure to be entertaining.

123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930