Norfolk news round-up

Theresa May visits Norwich
On Friday 18th October the Home Secretary, Theresa May, joined the Conservative MP for Norwich North, Chloe Smith. The duo canvassed local residents for an hour discussing anti-social behaviour and policing.

Talking to Mustard TV, May described the Government’s new measures on anti-social behaviour, currently passing through Parliament, as “much quicker” and “easier to apply”.

To the Labour Shadow Home Office Minister in the House of Lords, Baroness Smith, the Government’s changes to anti-social behaviour are “empty gestures”. The proposals to replace the ASBO with a community trigger would require three separate complaints or complaints from five different households before action becomes necessary.

Foodbank opens
Cromer & District foodbank has opened a new facility in Holt to support struggling people in places such as Burnham market.

The new foodbank, opened days after one in Hunstanton, is the fifth outlet to emerge in Norfolk in just over a year.

Foodbank press officer, Michael McMahon, recognised that while the economy appears to be improving the situation for those struggling was ‘getting worse’.
McMahon added: “The problems seem to be increasing. The main trigger is benefit delay, but other factors include bereavement or burglary. We also see a significant minority of homeless people.”

Incinerator funding withdrawn
The government have announced they have withdrawn funding for an incinerator to be built in West Norfolk.

Environment minister Lord de Mauley wrote to South West Norfolk MP Elizabeth Truss: “Following a review of the WIC (Waste Infrastructure Credits) allocated to the Norfolk County Council residual waste infrastructure project, ministers have decided to withdraw the award of funding to the project.”

Ms Truss commented, “I have always argued that over a hundred million pounds on subsiding a plant that local residents did not want is a poor use of taxpayers money. I am pleased to hear that Defra has listened to these arguments. I call on the county council to now abandon plans for the incinerator and work towards a comprehensive waste policy that commands the support of local residents.”

22/10/2013

admin This is the website admin, an account used by the online editor. Email concrete.online@uea.ac.uk if you spot an error or have a question.

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930