Norwich and Norfolk Spots On The Big Screen

‘A Fine City’ and ‘Home of the Wonderful’ are the words associated with Norwich, and they’re certainly not wrong. The landscape of our city and county has been showcased in many films we know, love, or need to watch – be sure to check out these films and hidden gems if you’re new to the Norwich area!

Norwich has been the setting for the renowned Alan Partridge series, and this remains the case in its spin-off feature film, Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa (2013). The plot entails the hilarious consequences of our much-loved radio DJ getting kidnapped, and Steve Coogan’s witty acting will never disappoint. Not only does the film show various shots such as Norwich City Hall, but it also presents an amusing showdown at Cromer Pier – only a speedy train trip away.

Fighting With My Family (2019) is another fun homage to our city and produced by Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson himself. It tells the true and emotional story of the Norwich born-and-bred Zodiac family, whose great enthusiasm for wrestling leads to their daughter training for the WWE championship in the United States. In one of the opening scenes, you’ll see Paige (wonderfully played by Florence Pugh), handing out her wrestling club leaflets in front of the iconic Norwich Market.    

The cobbled street and antique shops along Elm Hill are the perfect setting to capture Stormhold, the magical land in the film, Stardust (2006). A fairy-tale for adults, this film explores the tensions between the mortal and magical world when a star falls from the sky. The Briton Arms, a quaint tea shop, was brilliantly transformed into a guest house called The Slaughtered Prince for the film. The location manager of Stardust also described the residents and businesses of Elm Hill as, “a joy to work with.” 

Did you know you study just metres away from a box-office success? One of the biggest superhero franchises of the last decade has also set foot on our campus at UEA– the unique Sainsbury Centre art gallery performs as The Avengers headquarters in many of their films.

One of the most adored Norfolk coasts, Gorleston, is the location of a key scene in the music comedy Yesterday (2019), written by the British rom-com king Richard Curtis and directed by the talented Danny Boyle. This wholesome film is about the big break of a struggling musician when he takes credit for The Beatles’ music in a world that has forgotten the bands’ existence.   

It seems that Norwich and Norfolk have been recognised for their underrated beauty by film production teams. Go and explore its beauty for yourself! 

14/09/2021

Laura Patterson

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930