Norwich City defending duo make England U21s squad

The Under 21s England Squad are currently in the qualification stage for the 2021 European U21 Championship and are currently at the top of their group after their 5-1 win over Austria. 

Norwich City defending duo Ben Godfrey and Max Aarons have joined Boothroyds team and have so far ensured victory each time the two have been on the pitch as England have, so far, only suffered one loss against Romania.

Godfrey, 21, was signed for Norwich back in 2017 and has since made appearances with the team in the Championship, FA Cup, EFL Cup and now Norwich City’s return to the Premier League, since being relegated in 2016. 

The centre-back has made appearances in all 12 games this season, proving a valuable defender most notably in September when the team established they were a force to be reckoned with, beating Premier League Champions Manchester City 3-2 despite the champions having over 20 shots on target.

Godfrey has also had an almost perfect clean sheet this season in the Premier League, having been awarded only one yellow card against former Champions Manchester United. 

The right-back signed for Norwich in 2016 and has since scored two goals for the Canaries under 18s team and two for Norwich city in last year’s Championship against Rotherham and Bristol City.

Aarons has played 10 out of 12 matches in the current Premier League and has been awarded three yellow cards so far against Newcastle, West Ham and Manchester United.

Currently, Aarons has played three out of five matches since joining the Under 21s England Squad equating to 230 minutes having played full time against Turkey and last minute substitutions in the Kosovo and Austria games. So far, he has earned one yellow card in the England v. Turkey match.

York born defender Godfrey has played for England two out of five games so far, equivalent to 99 minutes, of which England have won against Kosovo U21s 2-0, and Turkey U21s 3-2. He also received a yellow card in the Kosovo match.

Upcoming matches for the Under 21s European Championship are on November 15 and November 18 and are being shown live on BT Sport.

19/11/2019

Charlotte Sykes