Lest we forget: Norwich City remembers

The Canaries observed Remembrance Day a little earlier than most of the country, with their match against Watford on the 8th functioning as part-ceremony and part-charity event.

Service personnel and Royal British Legion volunteers manned the entrances to Carrow Road, armed with collection tins.

Norwich City players also bore poppies on their match kits, which were auctioned off online after the match, with all the money going to the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal.

Dual-branded poppy pin badges were made available in the Club shop at Carrow Road, purchasable for a minimum donation of £3 to the Royal British Legion. The limited-edition badges sold out quickly, and fans were urged to buy theirs quickly by the club’s website to avoid disappointment.

News of the events scheduled to take place at the game was released on the Canaries’ website on the Wednesday prior to the match.

Two wreaths were laid by the side of the pitch, one from the home team, and one representing the Watford players.

After that, the referee’s whistle brought a minute silence down over the pitch, during which the mournful tune of the ‘Last Post’ rang out. When the proceedings had finished, the match began.

Norwich was soundly beaten down 2-0 by Watford, with goals from Gerard Deulofeu and Andre Gray, and a yellow card to Watford’s Christian Kabasele.

Again, at half time, the pause in the game was an opportunity for reflection, with a pitch parade involving RAF Marham, Royal Anglicans, ACF Norfolk Artillery Battery and Norwich Sea Cadets.

The club also awarded the status of ‘Community Hero’ to Lyn Hatch, the Community Fundraiser for the Royal British Legion. This position is awarded by the team once a month to “a deserving community-minded individual,” who is then offered the chance to place the match ball on the plinth prior to kick off.

In response to the opportunity, Ms Hatch thanked both the team and Norwich supporters for their generosity.

“Being a veteran, I love the fact that I have the opportunity to meet so many others,” she said. “To have the chance to work with, and still be a part of, the Armed Forces family… is incredible.”

Norwich City’s next match is scheduled to be an away game against Everton on 23 November.

19/11/2019

Jamie Hose