How to eat ethically in Norwich

Eating locally is a great way of making a difference to both the environment and your conscience. It boosts the local economy, cuts down on carbon emissions from air miles and is arguably better for your health.

While the greater benefits of eating organic are yet to be shown, it has been proven that it will cut down your exposure to the chemicals found in pesticides, and buying local will mean that your food is fresh and not coming from a supermarket refrigerator. There are plenty of restaurants and shops in Norwich that stock organic, ethically sourced food. Here are just a few.

Frank's Bar Frank’s Bar, Norwich.

The Loving Hut on Cattle Market Street is an all-vegan ethically sourced restaurant. Whilst the prospect of a vegan meal might sound off-putting to the more carnivorous, The Loving Hut offers a wide range of meat and dairy-free options, which sound both delicious and filling. Burger, steak and hotdogs, all served with a side of chips, are available for under £5, while for just £4 you can get access to the all you can eat buffet. It is an affordable and tasty way to get a wholesome, healthy meal.

Located at Earlham House Shopping Centre, The Green Grocers is an ethically sound food shop and café. Following a set of four principles, they not only guarantee that over 90% of their produce is organic and locally sourced (with the remainder fair-trade or eco-friendly), but they also put some of their profits back into the community to fund good causes.

They have also made sure that their methods of transportation are carbon neutral, making it better for the environment, and support the Produced in Norfolk enterprise, which promotes products from within the county.

Meanwhile Frank’s Bar offers a wide range of locally sourced pub food. The menu changes regularly in order to serve what is in season – eliminating the air miles spent on importing out of season food from overseas and also ensuring that their food is fresh.

You will find an amazing selection of breakfasts, stretching through to light meals, main courses and ciabattas, with home-made cake and ice cream to indulge. If you are thirsty, you can choose from a wide range of organic juices and hot drinks, or an extensive cocktail menu if you are in the party mood. Even better, you can head over on a Sunday afternoon at 4.30pm for ethical nibbles and a free film screening. Find them at 19 Bedford Street in The Lanes.

Finally, the Tea House is a cheap and charming fair trade café tucked away in Wrights Court, Elm Hill. Offering 27 loose-leaf teas from a local blender and homemade cakes and sandwiches made with bread from a local baker, it is the perfect place to stop off for an ethically sound afternoon snack stop.

With the food coming in at under a fiver, it is easy on the wallet, and if you are a bit more on the peckish side, you can grab a bacon sandwich and a coffee to keep you going.

19/02/2013

sidoniechaffermelly

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031