Fashion

Norwich Fashion Week – The Vintage Show

On Sunday 9 March, Norwich Puppet Theatre held host to the annual Norwich Fashion Week Vintage Show. From beehive hair to burlesque dancing, there was something for Vintage newbies to Vintage know-it-alls. Set over two short half hour sets, we were treated to a beautiful array of clothes, lingerie and incredibly detailed hats and masks.

10014645_667560049968983_133300295_n

Photo: Julia Holland

The first half opened with Fabulous Miss K showing us some 40s and 50s vintage inspired dresses. Her simple colour palette made of reds, blues and greens emphasised the fit and quality of the garments. With the models walking into the audience through the steps of the auditorium we got a 360 degree look at the dresses and wonderful models. It was a fantastic and classy opening to the show. Lulu Vintage then showed us some rather fabulous menswear. Dapper men in tail coats and bright green suit jackets graced the catwalk to thunderous applause. The audience loved the top hats and bowties, who doesn’t like a classy gent?

The show continued in much a similar manner with incredible dresses and sharp suits. Particular highlights included a pair of sparkly silver evening cloves from Back in Time and the cute and feminine Vintage Deli. Even with a troublesome parasol, the first half of the show was cute, flirty and fun.

During the interval, where we filled up on unbelievable cocktails and chocolates, organisers were scouting for the best dressed. This competition ensured nearly every member of the audience (Concrete Fashion included) dressed up to the nines in their finest Vintage apparel. With a make-up station and a pop up photo studio everyone was looking their best.

After the interval, and the announcement of the best dressed winners, the evening took a more sultry turn. Proudlock and Harry showed their vintage inspired lingerie. From overly feminine baby dolls, to a sleek leather slip, Proudlock and Harry was one of the highlights of the night. They showed both girly, feminine lingerie as well the more dominatrix inspired underwear. Wake Up Little Susie entertained with smoking jackets and dressing gowns in a multitude of colours, all styled with sunglasses, bright pattern socks and a devil may care attitude from the male models.

Following on from the steamy lingerie, we were treated to Betsy Hatter’s hats. With a focus on embellishment and natural images, butterflies and feathers adorned these vintage inspired head-pieces. Titiana Fisher Millinery went much more over the top with sparkly, almost crown like, details. With Madonna’s ‘Vogue’ in the background, Titiana Fisher Millinery won best soundtrack of the night!

Finally, Mystic Magic Masquerade showed some unbelievable detailed masks. Again, butterflies were a prominent theme in this collection. We also loved a pair of glasses adorned with pearls – a necklace and glasses in one, what’s not to love? And that’s what the whole show was about: finding the fun and extravagance in fashion. The Vintage Show perfectly exemplified how fashion should be about self-expression and fearlessness.

11/03/2014

ellasharp