Norwich has been declared the ‘Foodie Capital of Britain’, winning the prestigious AA rosette and overshadowing London, Manchester, and Bristol.

foodie

The rosette was awarded to Norwich for having the most number of restaurants per head in the UK. Norwich has one AA rosette-holder for every 6,500 people, while London has one per 18,200.

Chef proprietor Roger Hickman, from Roger Hickman’s Restaurant, has said that the city’s dedicated chefs are responsible for its achievement, and commented on the excellence of City College Norwich’s Hotel School.

He said: “It’s really rewarding to hear that the data collected puts Norwich at the forefront of national dining with such a high ratio of award-winning cooking for the size of the city.

“A lot of chefs work hard to deliver what their customers are looking for, and this is helped further by the regional industry being supported by such a brilliant catering college.”

Visionarydining.com studied the 2014 AA Guide to see which cities had the most highly excelling restaurants. London originally came first in numbers, but once population was taken into account Norwich topped the capital.

Steve Thorpe, headteacher at City College Norwich, said: “The Hotel School is very fortunate to have such incredible support from a local industry that encourages lots of people to be enterprising and entrepreneurial within the sector.

“This report reflects the very high level of small and independent local restauranteurs that is supported by a county that loves its food.”

Gordon Cartwright, managing director of visionarydining.com, commented: “It is interesting to look at the impact of college hospitality education in the cities which have done well in this survey.

“The quality of students which these colleges send out into the local industry play a big part in driving up quality. In the case of City College Norwich, the link between quality students and the local restaurant scene is very clear.

“The satisfaction of achieving an award such as an AA rosette is one to savour for those who toil endlessly to fill their restaurants.”