Norwich Market named Best in Britain

Norwich Market has been named the ‘best large outdoor market in Britain’ at the Great British Market Awards 2019.

The judges of the Great British Market Awards said that Norwich Market ‘demonstrated the power of social media’, as seen in popular Instagram pages such as @eatnorwich which have gained traction in the past few years, showcasing the large variety of independent eateries in Norwich and paying particularly close attention to the 25 food stalls available in the market.

Not only does the market offer food but its vintage clothing stalls have proved to be a hit for students, especially at Taxi Vintage Clothing.

Previous threats of the market’s closure have prompted changes to its current ten year plan, proposing to ‘add value to the economic, social, environmental and cultural fabric of Norwich, create a dynamic experience that is diverse, vibrant and adds value,’ and ‘promotes the future whilst remembering the historic background.’

Having been founded in the late 11th Century, the market has continued to flourish and has received many upgrades over the years; most notably in 2006 where the market was transformed into what it is today. It is one of the oldest and largest outdoor markets in the country, and its 189 stalls are open Monday to Saturday.

This, along with the Lanes’ excellent financial Christmas performance, are indicative that the role of independent businesses in the city remains prominent.

Whilst the retail environment has seen a drop in footfall and sales as well as some high streets across the country seeing multiple store closures, both Norwich Market and The Lanes have seen a revival in recent years as it has become more ‘trendy’ to shop local.

One owner of a shop in Norwich Lanes has said they had the ‘best Christmas season for 27 years’. The Norwich Lanes Association has said that they try to ensure that chain stores are kept out of The Lanes so that the local business market seems like a ‘village in a city’; this idea proves to be working.

18/02/2019

RachelCrockart

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31