Norwich MP fails to build on apprenticeship numbers

New statistics revealed by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills reveal that no improvement has been made on the number of apprenticeship starts for young people in Norwich South since the Coalition took office. The latest figures taken from August 2012 to April 2013 also show that the number of young people in Simon Wright’s constituency beginning apprenticeships has fallen from the previous year.

Simon Wright

Last week Simon Wright, Member of Parliament for Norwich South, spent the morning as an apprentice bricklayer at the construction training firm CTS. The visit forms part of the MP’s campaign to increase the number of employers that take on apprentices as a key way to drive down youth unemployment.

Further according to the official figures, there has also been no change in the number of young people starting more advanced apprenticeships from the figures when Mr Wright entered parliament.

The Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) has said that for apprenticeships to be an avenue out of youth unemployment, quality should receive as strong a focus as quantity.

Mr Wright has identified apprenticeships as: ‘hugely important, particularly for young people looking to gain technical skills and experience’.

27/08/2013

andrewansell

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031