Norwich rock band Settlem3nt to release new single ‘Lucid Dreams’

Norwich alternative rock band Settlem3nt are set to release their second and last single of the year – ‘Lucid Dreams’ – on the 18th of December.

The four-piece band formed in 2018, going on to release an album in 2019 titled Incisions and another single in 2020 titled ‘Champagne,’ described as the first ‘completely self-recorded and produced’ track they released. ‘Lucid Dreams’ follows a similar pattern, with the track being built off a solo demo by lead guitarist Charlie Kerrison.

Settlem3nt’s primary influences are grunge bands such as Nirvana and Alice in Chains, but also alternative metal such as TOOL. This is clear in ‘Lucid Dreams’: lyrically, the track resembles the cryptic storytelling of TOOL with the focus being on the experience of lucid dreaming– yes, unlike Juice WRLD’s track of the same name this track actually talks about them properly– with the dramatic rendition of lines such as “Give it time, you might surprise yourself” standing out.

The chorus is a sickening pick up of tempo, with an absolute eruption of riffs and vocalist Aiden Davies providing a pair of vocal tracks with different cadence, adding to the slightly trippy nature of the track. A sudden switch-up about halfway through the track also surprised me, with the second half almost acting as an outro for the first half– although the tempo does build up once again into a cacophony of violent drumming and crashing guitar.

Settlem3nt’s final single of 2020 is an absolute must-listen for fans of grunge, but also for listeners of more progressive groups due to the track’s interesting structure and vocal performances. You’ll be able to listen to the track via all the usual streaming services.

15/12/2020

Jack Oxford

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3