Arts, Venue

Norwich’s Maddermarket Theatre to close until August 2021

The Maddermarket Theatre, a well-loved Norwich independent, has announced its closure. Following the threat of a second wave of COVID-19, the company has “taken a very difficult decision” to close until August 2021.

The theatre, like many independent venues, has found themselves short on funding, and could potentially have run out of money by the middle of next year if they had continued on.

To help fundraise, The Maddermarket is reopening with the Norfolk Voices Festival, from Saturday 14 November to Saturday 21 November. It will feature a discussion with Sam Clemmett (who starred in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child as Albus Potter), an original comedy by Antoinette Moses, poetry by Molly Naylor and Luke Wright, and readings by Rebecca Stott and UEA’s own Tessa McWatt, alongside many more. The line-up consists of entirely Norfolk-based talent, and has been endorsed by Stephen Fry himself, allowing his first memoir, Moab Is My Washpot, to be performed as a commissioned monologue.

The theatre will be hosting all events in-person, with thorough restrictions in place. This is perhaps a reprieve from all of the Zoom discussions and screen-to-screen events that we have witnessed since March. It is certainly an opportunity to experience live performance as it is supposed to be – surrounded by the tangible enjoyment of others. The Maddermarket have highlighted all their safety precautions on their website.

Tickets range between £8 and £12, depending on the event. As a registered charity, The Maddermarket also accepts donations, via their website. With help from the community, fostered by a love for live arts, there is hope that The Maddermarket will persevere to be enjoyed by generations to come.

After the festival, The Maddermarket will be closed again until next August.

03/11/2020

Ally Fowler