Global, US Election: Global

Obama attacks Trump in new wave of political activism

On Wednesday night, Obama made his first in-person campaign speech in support of his former Democratic vice president, Joe Biden. The rally was held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, which is a key voting state for both Republicans and Democrats.

Obama performed his speech at the Lincoln Financial Field. He declared if Mr Biden won, “we’re not going to have a president who goes out of his way to insult anybody who doesn’t support him, or threaten them with jail. That’s not normal president behaviour.” Obama explains how the current president “emboldens other people to be cruel. And divisive. And racist. And it frays the fabric of our society.”  

“I am asking you to remember what this country can be. What it is like when we treat each other with respect and dignity. What is it like when our elected officials actually behave responsibly,” he concluded. “I’m asking you to believe in Joe’s ability and Kamala’s ability to lead this country out of these dark times and help us build it back better.”

The former president went on to comment on Trump’s response to the pandemic, saying Trump was “incapable of taking the job seriously” and that “Donald Trump isn’t suddenly going to protect all of us. He can’t even take the basic steps to protect himself.” To which Trump argued that the Democrats and the media were just obsessed with the coronavirus pandemic.

Donald Trump responded to the comments made by Obama: “There is nobody that campaigned harder for crooked Hillary Clinton than Obama, right? He was all over the place.” He followed that with a claim that Obama was not enthusiastic about the initial idea of Joe Biden running for presidency, which comes after reports that Obama insisted Biden not run in 2016 in favour of Hillary Clinton running instead.

03/11/2020

Lauren Bramwell