This year, UEA Hockey Club’s annual Old Boys Weekend took place on the 9 -10 of November.

Old Boys Weekend are two days of the year when the club’s players, old and new, come together for a great weekend of hockey and reuniting with old friends. And this year saw a huge turnout!

The main aim of Old Boys Weekend is to fundraise for UEA HC’s charity ‘Meningitis Now’, in memory of one of the hockey club’s Old Boys, Mike Covell.

Over the years, UEA HC has proudly fundraised on behalf of Meningitis Now in memory of Mike, to provide necessary funds for research and to support the families affected by Meningitis.

There are so many ways that the club fundraises, from selling scrunchies to the men’s and women’s fantasy hockey league. It’s a great way of using the sport to raise funds for an amazing cause.

The fact that UEA HC has a history of fundraising for Meningitis Now means there is a huge amount of support behind all fundraising efforts.

Sunday 10 November was our day of hockey, where old boys and girls faced the current UEA hockey players.

The event was a huge success, with a brilliant turn out from the club, past and present, and many other supporters. 

Zoe Collis, the club’s Fundraising Secretary, commented: “Old Boys annual weekend is a great way to catch up with old hockey friends.

“This fundraising weekend helps bring the club together past and future.”

She went on to say: “It is important to remember our club’s history and why we are here: in the memory of Mike Covell in hope of raising money for a great cause, Meningitis Now.

“It’s been such a lovely weekend and we’ve raised lots of money so far!”

We hope the Old Boys Weekend is a tradition that will continue for years to come.

If you are interested in UEA HC or want to learn more about this fundraising weekend, please visit the club’s social media pages: follow @hockeyueamens and @ueawomenshockey on Instagram or like ‘UEA Hockey Club’ on Facebook.