Hard work and lots of laughs are the only way to describe the propelling forces behind the Drama Society’s 2019 production of Ordinary Days directed by Zoe Callow, with musical direction by Matthew Snow. This one-act musical follows the intersecting lives of four people living in New York City. Claire, played by Lillian Carver, is in her thirties and is about to start a new chapter in her life by moving in with her boyfriend Jason, played by George Majin. While Claire is forced to face her past, Jason looks to the future of their relationship and tries to develop it further. Deb, played by Ella D’Arcy-Jones, is a slightly cynical grad student in her mid-twenties trying to find some calm in her life when she meets Warren, played by Sam Hewitson, a struggling, but always optimistic artist when he finds her thesis notes in the street. As each of their lives grow and overlap, they all come to realise just how extortionary the small things in life can be. 

When speaking to the cast and directors about their experience with the musical thus far, I heard many different variations of the same answer.

“This is my favourite musical, by far, that I have ever done,” said Hewitson (Warren).

This sentiment was echoed by his castmate D’Arcy-Jones (Deb). “You can relate to this show a lot. It’s nothing big, but it helps you reflect on the ordinary things in life.”

“All the songs are absolute bangers,” added Snow.

Both Carver (Claire) and Majin (Jason) said that they are the most excited for the audience to see the song called “I’m Trying” song between their two characters. “This song is great because it shows the audience why they are together,” said Carver.

Majin agreed and said, “It’s the one point where everything is ok.”

Director Callow claims she is “excited for people to see a different side of musical theatre.”

After listening to every member of the production rave about the show I am very excited to see all their hard work come to life at the end of this week. The performances will be taking place on the 17th, 18th, and 19th from 7:30-9:00 pm in the UEA Drama Studio, and if I were you, I would not want to miss it.