OldVenue, TV

Party House – review

The title of the new series Party House is pretty self-explanatory; give a group of people a house to get drunk in and see what happens. The first episode opens with empty bottles littering the floor and hungover expressions, bringing to mind recollections of the aftermath of an LCR night.

6e5d5b44-397e-4eff-9bfc-4e12f4623890_625x352

This is quickly lost with the Made in Chelsea structured-reality format, a success the E4 bosses seem keen to recreate. Add alcohol and a pool to the mix and a weird combination of Made in Chelsea and Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents is created, which feels more structured than real.

Each episode focuses on a different group of ‘friends.’ Fitting the action into fifty minutes means no lengthy build-ups to revelations, but also means the audience doesn’t get to see the relationships develop or get the chance to invest in any of the characters (who are unnatural in their roles). Flashbacks to moments seen five minutes ago could be an attempt to imitate that blurry drunk feeling, but gives the impression that the producers think the audience are too stupid to remember what just happened.

The awkward moments create some laughs and sympathy, but not enough to make you care about what happens. The current fascination with ‘structured- realities’ and youth drinking culture means it’s pretty unlikely programmes like Party House will stop being made anytime soon; whether that’s good or bad is up to you.

29/04/2014

rebeccahedger

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31