Pirates Promoted to Premiership

UEA Pirates American Football team have been promoted to the BUCS Premiership for next season after wins over Bath and Exeter in the Southern play-offs.

UEA will face Coventry in the BUCS Trophy national final in Loughborough on Sunday, hoping to become the country’s best university American Football team outside of the Premiership.

After their first playoff victory over Queen Mary, two successive home wins took UEA to the national final. First, they saw off Bath 14-0, before last week defeating Exeter 14-8 in the Southern final, a game that saw the teams battle snow, wind and dazzling sunshine at Colney Lane.

President Connor Kennedy reflected on the Exeter clash: ‘The game was intense and remained scoreless until the second half, keeping us all on edge. The weather was a huge shock and made our passing game more difficult than usual, but it didn’t stop Ben Borthwick picking one out of the air in the end zone and putting us on the scoreboard.

‘Corneilius Walters iced the game with his dagger of a play, punching in a 30-yard run for our final touchdown of the game. Lewis Williams had a strong game and managed to kick both of our PATs successfully despite the wind.

‘We’re all excited for our Premiership promotion next year and for the BUCS national final [this] week against the Coventry Jets, which is going to be a hell of a game.’

The promotion means UEA Pirates become the university’s only team competing at the top level of the BUCS league system.

07/06/2019

Tony Allen