Police ask students to consider home security while in lockdown

Norfolk Police have asked students to bear in mind their student homes’ security while away owing to the UK lockdown. A police spokesperson said: “We would urge students to take some time to review their home security and take some simple steps to prevent them from becoming victims of crime. Many thieves are opportunistic, so may use current circumstances, where properties are unoccupied, to their advantage.

“Please ensure your doors and windows are locked at all times – and if you go out, leave a light or radio on to give the impression someone is home.

“If you are planning to be away from your property for a long period of time, please ask a friend or neighbour to keep an eye on the premise and consider using timers on lights.”

UEA student Chanel Ward received an email from her landlord in late March saying a window was open in her student house. When she returned to her house she found a vent in her downstairs bedroom window had been broken. She believes this is how someone gained access to the property. She said: “Everyone’s bedrooms were messed completely up, all draws turned upside-down and all of our items everywhere”.

Further home security advice from Norfolk Police includes:

• Remove any items of significant value before leaving the house, for example laptops, tablets or phones.

• If possible fit multi-locking systems to doors or install mortise security bolts with removable keys at the top and bottom of both doors

• Considering fitting a letterbox cage or restrictor which prevents burglars from putting their hands or gadgets through the letter box and trying the latches from the inside.

• Never leave expensive items in direct view of thieves, they are likely to exploit this.

• Never leave your house or car keys in or near a door or window

21/04/2020

Chris Matthews