Police shutdown illegal rave in Thetford Forest

An illegal rave was broken up by over 100 police officers in Thetford Forest. Footage of the event, that was released by Norfolk Constabulary on Tuesday, revealed that at least 500 people attended the rave that took place at Lynford over the bank holiday weekend. The police have stated that this was “a well-established and planned event”.

Specialist forces were called to the area on Sunday the 30th of August following noise complaints made by surrounding communities of “thumping” music in the early hours of the morning as well as enquires about the excessive number of cars trying to access a route off the A134.

None of the officers were injured during the shutting down process, however, it has been reported that they were hit with bottles and cans by some of those attending the rave. The party, which was eventually broken up by 6:30pm, was meant to continue into the following bank holiday Monday. After the shutdown of the event, over 100 vehicles still remained at the site.

Those attending the rave were asked to leave and when five people refused to vacate the area, three of them were each given a £100 penalty fine and two were taken into custody to then receive the same penalty.

Officers are still trying to find the two individuals that are suspected to be responsible for organising this event. The Assistant Chief Constable, Nick Davidson, who is leading this operation, has commented: “Our investigations are ongoing to trace the organisers and these enquiries are processing well.” The organisers of this illegal rave could receive a fine of up to £10,000.

New legislation introduced on Friday 28th of August means that police officers in England now have the authority to fine organisers of illegal gatherings [previously gatherings of more than 30 people, now reduced to 6 people] up to £10,000. Also, those who attend such gatherings and do not wear face coverings when it is mandatory can be fined £100 and that fine doubles after each offence going up to £3,200.

Due to the extensive equipment and resources needed for this big operation, the police have revealed that the full cost of shutting down this rave was around £25,000. That included the use of riot police, dog’s unit, drones, helicopters, and more than 100 police officers.

Also, the evacuation of the event resulted in mass amounts of equipment, including highly expensive audio kit, generators and a transportation lorry, being left at the site and as such was seized by the police.

Davidson further commented: “We understand the disruption such events cause to local communities and the concern people will have, particularly as coronavirus continues to be a real threat … I would like to thank local residents once again for their patience and understanding while we worked to close it down.”

Police have also been attending the shutdown of events like these in Leeds, Essex and the West Midlands, as well as many other places across the country.

22/09/2020

Lauren Bramwell