#BLM, Global

Portland protests see intensification

Protests in Portland, Oregon have intensified following Trump’s deployment of federal forces to end the demonstrations. 

Federal agents have been seen using batons, tear gas and riot gear to break apart the peaceful protests. Going beyond their original intention of ensuring the protection of federal areas and buildings, officials have been captured on video and reported to have been using excessive and unprovoked force and using unmarked vehicles to seize people from the streets of Portland.

The people of Portland have been engaged in nightly protests and demonstrations following the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis two months ago. Campaigning against the systemic racism of the state and for the Black Lives Matter movement, the protesters were first faced with federal officials two weeks ago.

Trump has endorsed the military response to the protests despite criticism, maintaining the measures the agents are using is for the protection of the people of Portland and to end the protests, although the reality suggests the protests and uproar has worsened because of his decisions. Residents of the city and activists online have been extensively critical of this decision and the treatment of demonstrators.

Groups such as the Wall of Moms have formed in response to the reaction of the authorities of Portland. The group were noted to have linked arms at the federal courthouse with masks and helmets, but they were met with tear gas and batons. Protesters have also been defending themselves with homemade shields to deflect the rubber bullets being used against them. 

The demonstrations do not seem to be slowing down any time soon, and the federal force does not show any signs of being relaxed either. 

04/08/2020

Sam Hewitson

Sam Hewitson

Travel Editor - 2019/20

Editor-In-Chief - 2020/21