Be prepared to become lost in and enchanted by Drama Society’s 2020 production of the musical Into the Woods directed by Lexine Lee, with musical direction by Matthew Rhodes. The whole cast has been working tirelessly for two months now making sure the entire production is something new and creative while still incorporating many of the elements that make this musical so well-loved. The plot itself is fairly complicated with the intersecting of 19 different characters and plotlines. There are magic beans, golden slippers, and wishes. Many of the cast members expressed their love of the story and timelessness. Lee said, “Everyone can find something to relate to with it. It has so much depth to it in all kinds of ways.” George Majin, who is playing the Baker said, “The plot has a deeper meaning of family and togetherness. Without one of the stories, it wouldn’t really work.” 

With a cast of 15, some might think that a production of this size would be hard to create. Many of the cast and both directors completely disagreed with this idea. Rhodes said, “Having such a big team has been really helpful. It has taken a lot of the pressure off.” Ella D’Arcy-Jones, who is playing Little Red, had similar things to say stating, “The entire group just gelled together really well. The production has been very well cast.” 

When speaking about their development of the characters in this production Keanna Bloomfield, who plays the Witch, and Amber Whitelock, who plays Cinderella, both expressed how they have learned new things about their characters. Bloomfield said, “I have learned how layered the character is. Thinking about the intention of the character has shown me two different sides to her.” Whitelock also expressed similar connections to her character. She said, “At first glance, she is very one-dimensional. She is really more than she seems though.” 

There is more than just a little excitement surrounding this production as well. Many of the cast members and the two directors expressed how excited they are for the audience to see the show. Sam Hewitson, who is playing Jack, said, “The whole thing is so immersive. It will be so exciting to see the whole thing come together.” Lillian Carver, who is playing the Baker’s Wife, agreed to say, “It’s been amazing working with such wonderful people, so I’m super excited for everyone to see it.” 

The show will take place from March 12th till the 14th starting 7:30 pm in the UEA Drama Studio and I know I am not the only one who is extremely excited to see what magic awaits us in the woods.