Prey Drive: Once More with Feeling

Norwich alt-rockers Prey Drive have had something of a busy year. Seeming to be on every Spotify curator’s radar, the band have racked up tens of thousands of plays on the platform, even appearing on both Enter Shikari’s and Basement’s curated playlists. Once More with Feeling makes it clear why, scratching an itch for those of us who miss the late-00’s British rock scene, which brought us huge and atmospheric bands such as Canterbury and Francesqa. From the moment opener Tokyo hits, it is clear what Prey Drive aim to do. Towering vocals soar over a thick instrumental backdrop.

Lead single Pancakes, odd title aside, feels immediate yet massive, and nothing breaks from this path. Foxes is a pop-punk masterclass, carefully controlled harmonies and rhythm power along a distinctly English-flavour of the largely tired genre. Sunday Best plays with electronics, and a slower pace shows that the band is capable of great beauty as well as catchy choruses. Death Breath has possibly the biggest chorus to come out of Norwich, over a cocky swagger which conjures memories of early Taking Back Sunday.

Prey Drive have been sat under the surface of mainstream rock, waiting to break through since the release of their debut EP, Tabula Rasa. With high profile endorsements, a growing fan base and an album which begs to be consumed time after time, if Prey Drive aren’t gracing the cover of music magazines by the end of next year there will have been a gross injustice in the music community. Every song occupies its own space on Once More with Feeling, taking the band’s core sound and playing with it.

20/11/2018

nickmason

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031