Prioritising you during Freshers

Freshers’ week is certainly a momentous time in every student’s life. It marks the transition from the comfort of home, to a world of new opportunities and independence. One thing  however, that is bound to accompany this change, is stress. Whilst trying to fit-in to your new setting, it can be easy to fall into the trap of trying to please others before you think about yourself. After all, you have to live in this new environment for the next three years, so you want to start off on the right foot. My main piece of advice is – be your own best mate.

Here are some tips for how to put yourself first, ensuring a balanced and healthy lifestyle throughout Freshers.

Students often look forward to all the club nights and parties with which Freshers’ week is synonymous, and there might be the tendency to over-drink at this time. One way to off-set this is exercise. Take some time away from Halls and go for a swim or a gym session at the Sports Park (each under £4 with campus I.D.). Alternatively, go for a walk around the lake and see if you can find UEA’s  resident donkeys and cows in the surrounding fields. Morning runs are a good solo or social activity and a great way to calm down, release endorphins and discover all the scenic routes in and around UEA – perhaps have a wander through the surrounding parks (Earlham and Eaton Park).

The hive is also home to table tennis courts, a piano, and upstairs you will find the rarely occupied nap nook (a room full of large beanbags), which are all great ways to take some time to prioritise your mental and physical health this Freshers.

17/09/2019

Jake Walker-Charles

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031