Featured Posts, News

Propaganda announces move to the Waterfront

Propaganda, the popular club night formerly hosted by Wonderland, has announced that it is moving to the Waterfront, the city-centre venue operated by the Union of UEA Students (UUEAS).

Alex and Dean of Propaganda meet with Joe and Alex of UUEAS Photo: Rob Drury, UEA:TV
Alex and Dean of Propaganda meet with Joe and Alex of UUEAS
Photo: Rob Drury, UEA:TV

Propaganda’s promoters met with Waterfront staff this lunchtime, and arrangements for the move are being made in haste. Wonderland closed suddenly on Tuesday, and Propaganda’s first night in its new home is tomorrow, Friday 20th June. The night’s organisers have commissioned special promotional material and are almost doubling their budget in order to advertise the move. In addition, staff will be posted outside Wonderland in order to direct clubbers across the river.

Both Propaganda and the Waterfront hope that Freshers’ Week in September will breathe new life into both the venue and the  club night. Propaganda’s regional manager, who oversees the outfit’s operations from Leeds to Southampton, told Thursday’s meeting that a new venue often increases attendance. And UUEAS is hoping that the arrival of the established brand will reverse declining student interest in the Waterfront over recent years.

Propaganda, formerly a commercial rival to the union’s own club nights, had been banned from advertising itself on campus. But that is set to change as it goes into partnership with UUEAS. The brand is looking at joint promotional activities with the union and will likely feature prominently in this year’s Freshers’ Week programme. In return, the Waterfront is looking at ways of including popular Propaganda features such as VIP areas and queue jump into its set up. Come the new academic year, the union may even run buses from campus to the city centre.

Joe Levell, finance office of UUEAS, said: “I am really pleased to be bringing one of Norwich’s biggest nights to our venues. The Waterfront is a great place for club nights, and we look forward to working with our team at The Waterfront and Propaganda on making this really exciting for the future!”

19/06/2014

Peter Sheehan Still faffing around after three years at Concrete, Peter is back for a second year as deputy editor. Presumably that means that last year wasn’t a complete disaster, but you never can tell… Peter has pledged to spend this year delegating as much work as possible to his colleagues, thus leaving him free to further his long-standing efforts to become Concrete’s one-man answer to Peter Mandelson and Malcolm Tucker.