Queen to make third visit to UEA

Her Majesty The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will visit UEA on Friday 27th January, to attend the Sainsbury Centre’s exhibition on the “art and cultural history of Fiji.” This will be The Queen’s third visit to the UEA campus, and the eighth by a member of the Royal Family.

The royal visit was announced in an email to staff and students from UEA’s press office this morning, Monday 16th January. The university says it is: “delighted to announce” the news.

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will be greeted by UEA Vice-Chancellor Professor David Richardson, as well as the Fijan High Commissioner to the UK, Mr Jikoto Tikolevu, and given a tour of the exhibition, titled: ‘Fiji: Art and Life in the Pacific’. The Queen will also meet the curators of the exhibition, staff at the Sainsbury Centre, representatives from UEA SU, and Fijan students studying at UEA, while on her visit.

Professor Richardson said: “The Royal Family has a long association with this university, dating back to The Queen’s first visit in 1968, and I am sure our staff, students and visitors will give The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh a wonderfully warm reception.”

He added: “The Sainsbury Centre is a cultural jewel in the crown for both UEA and the city of Norwich. It is a great personal honour for me to introduce The Queen to this fascinating exhibition.”

‘Fiji: Art & Life in the Pacific’ was opened by the President of Fiji, Jioji Konousi Konrote, in October 2016, with guests at the launch event including Sir David Attenborough and Lord (David) Sainsbury.

The Director of the Sainsbury Centre Professor Paul Greenhalgh said: “It is a huge privilege to welcome The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. I am sure they will enjoy this extraordinary show.”

16/01/2017

jessicafrankkeyes

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…