News, Recipes

Radio 1 Big Weekend tickets sell out in 40 minutes

Many students have been left disappointed after tickets for Radio 1’s Big Weekend sold out in just 40 minutes, with many claiming that they never got past the initial waiting screen.

With big names like Taylor Swift and Florence and the Machine having already been announced with more to come, demand for tickets was huge. The event is Europe’s biggest free ticketed festival and despite having 50,000 tickets to give away, with a large percentage of those being reserved for people with a Norwich postcode, many were left disappointed after being unable to secure tickets for either day.

Second year politics student, Will Temple, explained that he was annoyed that he had been unsuccessful at getting tickets: “I was really annoyed because I got up in plenty of time and despite being on two different devices and refreshing the page hundreds of times I just couldn’t get through. It seems really unfair that some students have been able to get tickets for both the Saturday and the Sunday when some of us have been left out completely”.

For people who were unsuccessful in getting tickets, the Union is trying their best to accommodate for these issues and ensure that students enjoy a fun weekend whether they managed to grab tickets or not.

In conjunction with the BBC, the Union announced that they will be streaming the whole event on the big screens in the LCR. Tickets for this event are free to students and available to collect from the box office at 09:00 on 13th April.

The union also announced that they have secured DJ Fresh for the Big Weekend UEA After Party in the LCR. The DJ is best known for songs such as Gravity, featuring Ella Eyre, Hot Right Now featuring Rita Ora and Louder featuring Sian Evans. This will take place after Big Weekend has finished on the 24th April and tickets are exclusively available to students between 09:00 and 12:00 on 13th April.

Students excited about the prospect of Taylor Swift appearing in Norwich have also started an online petition to try and get the international pop star to make an appearance at one of UEA’s club nights.

14/04/2015

broniamcgregor